Capital of the Middle East...
Lebanon, as a republic since 1923, has been a densely populated strip of land in the Middle East since the Biblical times. It is largely a mountainous country, lying along the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea. The country is a neighbour of Syria on the north and east and Israel on the south.
Lebanon has a distinct cultural background among all the other Arab countries with its half Christian and half Moslem population. This cultural and religious diversity has brought richly carved eastern and western traditions together, to form a unique country in this part of the Mediterranean region.
Since the mid-70s, the 20 years-long bloody civil war has destroyed the best infrastructure ever built in the Middle East region to an unrepairable degree. Only recently the peace has brought a relative prosperity and a hope to this unlucky country. The capital of the country, Beirut was used to be the tourism, entertainment and banking capital of the East Mediterranean before the civil war. There is now a huge reconstruction effort to regain the old reputation of the city. In recent years the peace efforts between the Arab states and Israel has helped to raise the hopes in Lebanon to establish the country to the same glorious level as before.
Phoenicians account for about 85% of the population. Armenians, Assryrians, Jews, Turks, Kurds and Greeks form the remaining 15% of the population.
Currently, the Syria and Israel have a strong
interest and influence on the affairs affecting Lebanon. The only airport
of the country, the Beirut Airport, is operational to international
flights ones more. The relatively improved security and the stronger
and more stable political structure has created a very promising atmosphere
in this once war torn country. We wish the best for this very special
nation and their historically important country. It is definitely worth
to visit Lebanon again!